All OUSD developed resources are now on Goodle Drive. To access a wealth of
Elementary and Secondary teaching and curriculum materials, use your OUSD login.
Curriculum and Lessons
Science Equipment Companies
Please note that OUSD has purchasing contracts with most of these companies along with standard pricing discounts.
- NPR Science Fridays - audio broadcasts you can download and listen to on your own time
- Science - the world's leading outlet for scientific news, commentary, and cutting-edge research.
- Scientific American - read the latest insights and developments in science and technology from the oldest continuously published magazine in the U.S.
Family & Parent Resources
Food for Thought
- Education World
- The Teacher's Guide
- Urban Dictionary - Do you ever wonder what your students are talking about? Is it appropriate for school? Want to catch up on the latest urban catch phrase? Search for it here. (Warning: Language is uncensored on this site.)
Pets in the Classroom
Pets can be an incredible opportunity for engagement in a science classroom, but can just as easily be an inconvenience. Below are some resources to help you make good decisions about classroom pets.
Choosing a Pet
Lessons with Pets
Family Science Nights
Family Science Nights are a great way to involve entire families in their child's education. The main attraction lies in interesting activities where students become the teacher for the evening. Take a look at notes and handouts from a NSTA workshop presented by Caleb Cheung.
Field Trip Locations
Through our partner organizations, the following free field trips and resources are available during the school year. Space is limited and provided on a first come first serve basis.
For forms and district policies regarding field trips, please contact your Principal or visit the Intranet (you will need an OUSD email account to access these files).
The following is a list of local field trips destinations for teachers and their students.
Museums and Science Institutions
- Oakland Museum, Oakland
- Chabot Space and Science Center, Oakland
- Lawrence Hall of Science, Berkeley
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley
- UC Berkeley Botanical Garden, Berkeley
- Exploratorium, San Francisco
- California Academy of Sciences, San Francisco
- Lindsay Wildlife Museum, Walnut Creek
- Math Science Nucleus, Fremont
- Tech Museum, San Jose
- Monterey Bay Aquarium, Monterey
- Oakland Zoo, Oakland
Parks and Outdoor Locations
- EBMUD, Oakland
- Save the Bay, Oakland
- Lake Merritt (Rotary Science Center,
Junior Center for Art and Science), Oakland
- Crab Cove, Alameda
- Tilden Park and Little Farm, Berkeley
- Ardenwood Farms, Fremont
- Coyote Hills, Fremont
- Angel Island
- Audubon Canyon Ranch, Stinson Beach
- Marin Headlands, Marin
- irecycle@school Education Center, San Leandro
- Sailing Into Science, Oakland
Assemblies and Class Presentations